The Big Idea: Patterns represent identified regularities and can be used to solve problems.
The Question(s): What patterns can you create? Can you label and translate your pattern?
- Design a pattern using any classroom materials.
- Take a photo using Skitch on your iPad.
- Using Skitch label your pattern
- Trade iPads with a partner and translate each other’s pattern.
- Be prepared to share aloud with the class what patterns you created.
These students demonstrated they understood repeating patterns and could describe the core of their pattern when asked. I was impressed with their ability to not only label their patterns using either a letter or a number code system, but most were able to translate the pattern into a different but equivalent form. This demonstrated they understood the inherent structure of the pattern since they could represent it using different elements.